Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More Like Square City Ushers, Buuuuuuuurrn!!

Greetings once more Mexicants, and Hüsker Don'ts!
I'm writing to you today on behalf of some friends o' mine The Circle City Deacons.  I realize that "friends" part did just expose my journalistic bias, but hey, though I envy his mustache, I never claimed to be Kronkite.
The term "bonertastic ska exposionaries" is thrown around a lot these days, but few and far between are bands quite explosionary or bonertastic as the Circle City Deacons.
While most scholars agree that ska died years ago in the study at the hands of Colonel Mustard(plug,) The Circle City Deacons are doing a damn fine job resurrecting it. If the word ska puts a repetitive upstokey gimmicky third wave taste in your mouth, relax, that's not what the Deacons are doing at all.  They blend traditional ska with reggae and rocksteady to create a sound akin to early Slackers or a more dynamic Aggrolites.  They're generally relaxed and low key, but have a driving upbeat groove, and their live show is (even at their drunkest) a polished and well rehearsed machine.
Listen, like I said these guys are my friends, I grew up with them, lived with them,  and drank gallons upon gallons of rum with them, but for my money these guys are, fresh out of the gate, one of the best bands in town.
So there you go, when the ska train rolls back through the station and The Deacons are playing stadium tours, buying islands and doin' lines of coke off their supermodel girlfriends on air force one, you remember who broke the story to ya
Stay thirsty dear readers, and remember; if you can touch 'em they're real.
-Pretzel

No comments:

Post a Comment