Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hoodies and shit

So over the past week or so I've seen an increasing number of folks posting shit about Treyvon Martin and George Zimmerman.  I've vaguely followed the case since I first heard about it, and I know there's been
1.) A whole lot of  continually emerging details over A. Zimmerman's nationality B. Treyvon's portrayal as an innocent party in this whole affair (old pictures of him as a fresh faced youngster, etc.) C. whether or not Treyvon was the initial aggressor or not.
2.) A separate case recently in which a kid was set on fire, and told "you get what you deserve white boy."
3.) A massive spike in the sale of Skittles, and probably hoodies too, but most folks already own those.
4.) Yet another ridiculously stupid thing out of Geraldo's mouth.

I'm not really here to talk about all of that specifically though. 
What I find disgusting and morbid is people using it to push politics and ( to a slightly lesser degree) underhanded racism. I mean, can we not all agree that children being shot and set on fire is a fucking tragedy without having to put a spin on it?  Whether it's "oh here's what the liberal media doesn't want you to see, Treyvon was expelled for weed and he really looked more like a thug than he did in that picture his family released," or "This white kid was set on fire for being white, where's his media firestorm (couldn't help it, sorry)"  Yeah, racism still exists, it's a sad yet shittily true fact.  Yeah, race probably played a part in why Treyvon was shot (although neither you nor I know what Zimmerman was thinking, and I highly doubt he'll be talking about it publicly any time soon.) Yeah racism certainly was why that poor kid was set on fire.  That being said does posting snarky shit on facebook about either kid make them any less dead or burnt?  

I dunno man, what happened to those kids is fucking tragic, and using tragedy to push politics is pretty gross.  Also seriously how is Geraldo allowed to be on tv anymore?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. Even more, what I think is absolutely ridiculous is the lengths people are now going to make a statement... like wearing a fucking hoodie and waving around Skittles and soda. Those things are not going to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete